OK, it’s 6:00 AM on January 1, 2014, and I’m sitting here in front of a computer. After a great night with my family setting goals, and reflecting on the past, four hours was about as long as I could sleep. This morning, I sat down and wrote out my goals, and started to look at them. It really hit me. We tend to set some ambitious goals this time of the year, and then we try to do them all at once. Too often, we do not have the right plan in place, and have not written out our goals AND plans. When I say write your goals, I do not mean to write a long list of vague ideas. You see, “get in shape” is not a goal. It is an idea. The statement, “Do 30 minutes of cardio three times a week”, that is a goal. You are going to have to take all of the ideas you had last night, and quantify them into achievable, and more importantly measurable goals.
My friend Bryan Dodge talks a lot about goals. I first heard Bryan speak at a HomeVestors convention in 2005. This guy sold me everything he had, without asking. I read his books, bought his debt course, and subscribed to his newsletters. I became a fan. Bryan talked about written goals, family, and energy. Bryan really spoke to me about living a good life. Since then, I have been on Bryan’s radio show, and invited him to speak at the first REI Expo in 2011. Here is a video clip from that day: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2456174411690
- Bryan taught me the law of diminishing intent. You have 48 hours to take action.
- Bryan taught me the importance of reading, daily. Until you do what he says, you will not understand how important a reading chair is.
- Bryan taught me the 21 day rule. This rule, is the reason most people fail in their goals. It is a rule that is tested. It takes 21 days to make a habit.
So, my first recommendation is for you to register for the REI Expo that is coming to Grapevine, TX in a couple of weeks. You can hear Bryan as he takes the main stage at 9:00 AM, January 25, 2014 at the Gaylord Texan.
10 Steps To Take Today
Whether or not you are going to attend the REI Expo, then I recommend you take the following steps.
- Set your goals for 2014.
- Begin work on one goal at a time. Plan for 21 days before you implement a new goal plan. That is the minimum amount of time that you need for your new routine to become habit. You can work on multiple goals at once, as long as they don’t impact each other. I’ll use physical fitness and weight control as an example. You don’t want to try to completely change your eating behavior and start being much more active at the same time. Your body will encourage you to stop, in ways I think we have all experienced. Instead, change your diet for 21 days, and begin slow walks. After 21 days, continue with your dietary changes, and then focus on your workout regimen. You are much more likely to be successful, and that is the point of goals, achieving them.
- Track your progress, and decide you will not quit. 99% of change is mental, I promise.
- Follow my blog (Look to your right for Subscribe to Blog via Email)
- Follow me on Twitter.
- Like me on Facebook.
- Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
- Subscribe to Bryan’s Email List.
- Subscribe to Bryan’s YouTube Channel (some great videos there already)
- Accept the Law of Diminishing Intent. You have 48 hours to take action on what you are feeling and thinking now. After that, the odds are against you.
What are your goals for 2014? Are you coming to the Expo?